Sunday, October 2, 2011

THE COST OF ONE SEED

Here  is  a fine story  for  a  discussion  about  the  division of  labor  between  husbands  and wives. It's also good  reading for  expectant  fathers  in the waiting  room.  The tale comes from  Kenya, east  Africa.


  A husban  decided  he  did  not  want  to live  with  his wife  any longer and  made up  his  mind to divoce her.  But the couple  had  a newborn son, and both  father and mother  wanted  to  keep  the  child, so  they  went  before judge.
The  woman  spoke first.
"I bore  this  child  for nine months," she  pleaded."I nurse him at  my  breast, I sing  to him  in  my  lap, I rock  him to  sleep in  my arms every night.  I  hold  him when  he cries, and I tend him  when he is sick.  I am  with  him  night and day, and love  him more than my own life.   Let me keep  him".

Then  the  man  spoke.
"I gave  the  seed   that   grew  into  this  child," he said. "Therefore the child  is  mine.  I  should  be able to keep  it if  I  want."
The judge  looked at the man. "So you gave the seed,  you say" he asked.
"That's  right," the man  said proudly. "One  little seed was all it took."
   "I  see," said  the  judge. "So the father gives the seed,  and the  mother carries  and feeds  the child. In  that case, I think I can make  a ruling   in this  matter.  But   first we  must  have  some  scales."
    He  called  for  a pair  of  scales  and  ordered  the  infant  to be  weighed.

"This   child weighs  nine pouds," the  judge said to  the father. "If  you  gave just  one  seed to make him, it stands to  reason your  wife  has given nine  pounds  minus  the  weigh of  one  grain of seed. So if  you  want  the  child,  you  must pay   your wife  for  nine pounds worth of food."

The  husband  stared   at  the judge as  if he  were in the presence  of  lunatic.  "Wait, I 'm  not  through," the judge said."We  also  need  to  consult  a baggage carrier."   A baggage carrier  was  summoned.  "How  much  do  you  charge to carry  a burden for  someone?" the judge asked.

"A coin  a day for evey  pound I carry," he  answered.  "Very  good,"  the  judge said.  "we  will figure  that  the woman carried  one  pound  during the first  month she was  with  child, ending  with  nine  pounds  by the ninth month she was with child. So for  nine months' work  of  carrying  the  child, at  a coin per pound  every day,  she  earned  nearly  fourtheen  hundren  coins.   The  husband  must pay  her  fourteen  hundred coins for carrying  his burden  for  him."

The  husband  looked   wide eyed  at  the judge.  "One  other  thing,"  the  judge said."If  it took  this  much  work  just  to  bring  the child   into  the world,  think  how  much  it  will  take  to raise it."  The  man   stood silent, beginning  to  understand  for the  first  time.  "I see  now, judge," he said at last. "Now  I will  start to take  some  of  the  burden  from  my  wife, so  that  we  might    make  the scales balance."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Make sense fortu

Fortunato said...

Thanks Pato,I wish to see you there in kentucky. I presume you will be there. Good job in creating a blog, of South sudan, a nation that came into(being) existened on july 9, 2011.

Search This Blog

Popular Posts

Popular Posts